COVID 19 UPDATE: In the interest of public safety all guests and attendees at Con on the Cob 2021 must be vaccinated against COVID 19 or be able to produce a valid medical reason as to why they can not be vaccinated. Unvaccinated people are required to wear masks while in the public areas of the convention. Relatedly, the Children of the Cob programming track has been put on hold for this year but will return once it is safe to do so. We regret any inconvenience this causes anyone.
Rule #1: Don’t be evil.
Con on the Cob is dedicated to creating a safe and welcoming environment for all people (except evildoers and people who want to create an unsafe and unwelcoming environment for others). In pursuit of that we offer the following guidelines, rules, and procedures.
What to do if there is a problem.
- TELL A STAFF MEMBER. The Con on the Cob Registration Desk and Souvenirium is constantly occupied by staff during operating hours. The Art Show HQ, Gaming HQ, and Auction room are also easy places to find staff members. Outside of show hours we are usually socializing with our Con on the Cob friends. We are not difficult to find. If you have trouble finding an Con on the Cob staff member please go to the hotel desk for assistance.
- DO NOT attempt to contact us through social media or email during a show. Although we do our best to monitor such things it is often impossible for us to do so during a busy convention. COME TO US IN PERSON.
- We will thoroughly investigate any complaint and deal with it according to the guidelines listed below. Sometimes it takes a bit of time to get both sides of the story and make an educated decision, so patience is occasionally required.
- We will treat everybody with respect and attempt to make a decision informed by the provable or observable facts, interviewing witnesses and doing other research as necessary.
- If a situation requires law enforcement intervention we will contact the necessary authorities.
- Anyone who attempts to get our attention by instigating a smear campaign or deliberately posting unfounded bad reviews will be permanently banned from all Con on the Cob and Oddmall shows. We are doing our best. Attempting to get our attention by attacking the community we’ve spent years creating is supremely uncool.
- Although we prefer a more diplomatic approach, Con on the Cob reserves the right to remove any person, without refund, for violation of any of these rules.
- If it is illegal in Ohio it is illegal at Con on the Cob.
- Don’t be a jerk.
Harassment and Intimidation
- No person shall intentionally cause another person to feel inferior, frightened, unwelcome, intimidated, or uncomfortable.
- Unconsensual touching of any nature is prohibited.
- Cosplay is not consent, as the saying goes. Just because someone is wearing a sexy outfit does not mean they want you to approach them in a sexual manner. Treat people with respect and dignity regardless of what they are wearing. Do not take pictures without asking.
- Nobody is a nobody. Everyone deserves respect, regardless of gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age or religion.
Shoplifting & Criminal Activity
- Anyone caught stealing from any entity or person at Con on the Cob or willingly causing damage or destruction to personal property will be prosecuted.
- If the person who stole our mannequin’s arm and head a few years ago returns it unharmed we will make an exception to rule #1 of this section.
Costumes & Props
- Attendees and vendors are encouraged to attend in costume.
- No metal weapons with points or sharp edges (knives, swords, spears, shurikens, etc…) are permitted. Exceptions can be made on a case by case basis with the consent of Con on the Cob staff.
- No real guns or firearms are allowed. Fake guns are allowed if they are obvious toys. Any fake gun designed to look like a real gun must have an orange safety tip in place at all times.
- Any weapons purchased at the show must be secured (either safety tied or in a box) while the bearer is on the show floor and should be taken to a vehicle or hotel room as soon as possible.
- No explosives or volatile or poisonous chemicals are allowed.
- Bows, crossbows, and similar weapons and props must be unstrung. Exceptions can be made during the costume contest.
- Be aware of the size of your costumes and props.
- Do not misuse props or attack innocent people. If you are engaging in a mock battle or something of that nature make certain the area around you is clear. You are responsible for any damages or injuries caused by your costume or props.
Outside Promotions and Distribution of Media
- We encourage promoters of other shows and events to distribute their promotional materials at Con on the Cob (although it’s in bad taste if your event falls on the same day as one of ours).
- Event promoters should feel free and encouraged to speak with vendors and visitors about their event. Please only do so when the vendor or visitor in question is not otherwise engaged.
- The distribution of literature or espousal of events that promote discrimination, hate, or run counter to any of the ideals expressed elsewhere in these guidelines is vehemently forbidden.
Refund & Payment Policies
- Due to previous experiences Con on the Cob does not offer refunds on vendor booths under any circumstances. If you have a medical or family emergency or must cancel your booth for any reason please let us know.
- Convention badges are not refundable. However, if you contact us at least four weeks before the show you may transfer your badge to another guest.
- Booths must be paid for at the time of registration. We will not hold your space for you until you pay for it. In the past we have held booths without pay and, as a result, lost thousands of dollars in unpaid booth fees. Exceptions can be made on a very limited basis.
- If a show must be canceled due to situations beyond our control (such as severe weather, damage to a venue, disease outbreaks, acts of nature, etc…) no refunds will be enacted. We will, however, attempt to reschedule for a later date or carry booth payments forward to the next Con on the Cob.
- Sales are permitted only by vendors who have actually purchased a vendor or art show booth. Selling items without a purchased booth is unfair to vendors who did purchase a booth.
- No vendor may leave his or her booth in order to initiate a sale or address a potential customer that is currently visiting another vendor’s booth.
- Harrassment or overly aggressive marketing toward customers is forbidden.
- Please inform a Con on the Cob staff member as soon as possible if a child or impaired adult is missing. We will initiate a lockdown, if possible, and help you search, contacting authorities if necessary.
- When reporting a lost child please present the child’s name, age, identifying clothing, physical description, and last known location so we can be more efficient in our search.
- Although we will do our best to help find a missing child, Con on the Cob assumes no liability in such cases.
- Parents or guardians are responsible for the actions of their children.
Lost & Found
- The Lost & Found is located at the Con on the Cob Registration Desk & Souvenirium. We will do our best to reunite people with their lost items.
- Unclaimed items become the property of Con on the Cob.
- Con on the Cob assumes no liability for lost or damaged property.
- By attending Con on the Cob or registering for a Con on the Cob vendor or art show booth you acknowledge that you have read these policies and agree to abide by them.
- By appearing at Con on the Cob you agree to allow us to use any photos taken of you at Con on the Cob to be used for CotC promotional purposes.